Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wilton Gets a Makeover!

Just about every cake designer owes a debt to Wilton for starting them out in cake decorating. Well, Wilton Method Cake Decorating Classes have gotten a major facelift! The new streamlined curriculum promises to afford more hands-on activity and practice time, exciting new techniques and easy ways to decorate cookies and cupcakes.


What I love, love, love is that the Wilton Rose is absent from this first course. I have always felt that the Wilton Rose is too daunting a task to tackle in the first course, and has often been a source of frustration for newbie students. Years ago in the 1990's, when I took the Wilton Courses, the rosebud was taught in the first course. I could not understand, why the rosebud--which I feel is easier to learn than the Wilton Rose on the flower nail, was placed in Course II. Wilton has finally got it right!

The Flowers and Cake Design Course concentrates on all types of flowers; some of the fondant flowers are quite creative, beautiful, and easy to execute. Sure to bolster the confidence of students to tackle even more complex techniques.

Wilton's Gumpaste and Fondant Course is sure to be a fun course where students can really become an Ace of Cakes! The fondant rose, ribbons, and bows are easy enough for beginners, and the cake designs in the coursebook give great ideas for special occasion cakes. I saw a website where you can download the retired Wilton Course Books for free. Please let me know if you take one of the new Wilton Courses or downloaded any of the course books and how you liked it. - Dina

5 comments:

Marisol said...

I am taking the new wilton course will keep you posted.

Dina said...

Please do. I never thought of doing a re-do of the courses. Looking forward to your feedback.

The Rambling Rowe said...

I'm in the Basics course and have 2 sessions left in it. So far its pretty simple, at least for me, but I have much more experience than my class mates. I've been learning from different sites and TV and videos for a few years. The only thing that bothers me about my class, is not the class itself. Its the lack of focus and respect that the instructor receives from the class. Its like being in middle school all over again. Its very distracting to those who are actually interested in learning things that they may not already know how to do.

Dina said...

To bad your experience with the instructor was such a bummer.The teacher does set the tone and spirit of the class. Thanks for your feedback.

The Rambling Rowe said...

My instructor is great. I just wish some of the students didn't talk as much in class so that it would be easier for everyone to follow what our instructor is trying to teach us.